|Department of Highways Trucks, 1930s|
used during the construction of the highway
between Corner Brook and Deer Lake, courtesy Deb LeDrew
Attention all knitters, crocheters, snowshoe makers, people who know traditional recipes, and anyone who makes, crafts, or creates objects - Heritage NL is looking for you!
The Humber Valley Skills Inventory, part of the Humber Valley Thriving Regions project, will identify existing knowledge holders in the area, including craft producers, bakers, farmers, foragers, brewers, printmakers, fly tyers, beekeepers, cooks, artists, antler carvers, and makers of all kinds. We are looking for anyone with skills and knowledge about the making of everyday objects, skills, art, and crafts from these communities:
Steady Brook, Little Rapids, Humber Village, Humber Valley Resort, Pasadena, Pynn’s Brook, Little Harbour, St. Judes, Deer Lake, Reidville, Cormack, and Howley
The end product will be a publicly-available listing of local skills holders. For examples see:
If you wish to be listed in the Inventory, email email@example.com or fill out the survey at https://forms.gle/53EMsrC9mTm9FUku7
Heritage NL will be at three open-to-all meetings where you are encouraged to come and learn about the project. If you are crafty, bring an object you made to show and share!
- Monday, May 8th, 7-9pm - Cormack Skills Show and Share - Cormack Town Hall
- Tuesday, May 9th, 6:30-8:30pm - Yarns and Yarns with the Knit Wits - Pasadena Place, 19 Tenth Avenue, Pasadena
- Wednesday, May 10th, 1pm -3pm - Yarns and Yarns with Kindred Spirits Knit 'n Yarn - Salvation Army, 20 Church Street (corner of Chapel Hill), Deer Lake
- Thursday, May 11th, 7-9pm - Deer Lake Skills Show and Share - Humber Lodge, 2 Poplar Road
- Saturday, May 13th, 1pm -3pm - Pasadena Heritage Society AGM - Royal Canadian Legion, 92 Main Street. You can register with Pasadena Heritage at https://forms.gle/fBnzU3TL1jk8zF7F7 to help plan number of attendees. Coffee, tea and treats will be provided!