Monday, June 17, 2024

Heritage NL designates three new properties as Registered Heritage Structures

Heritage NL is excited to announce that three historic properties in Glovertown, Surgeon Cove Head (Exploits Island), and Lethbridge have been awarded heritage designation. The designations include a planned pulp mill, a light station, and a family home with outbuildings.

Terra Nova Sulphite Company Pulp Mill.
Photo courtesy of the Town of Glovertown.

The Terra Nova Sulphite Company Pulp Mill is a large concrete structure located along Angle Brook in Alexander Bay in Glovertown. Construction began on the mill in 1920 under the Norwegian company Terra Nova Sulphite Company Limited. The mill was intended to be opened by the Fall of 1921 but, due to the falling value of the Norwegian Kroner and hesitant investors, the mill never became operational. $2,000,000 had been spent on the construction of the mill and it had the potential of employing 300 people, plus the loggers employed to supply pulpwood. Built from reinforced concrete, the mill is a landmark in Glovertown.  

Surgeon Cove Head Light Station. 
Photo courtesy of Paul and Joanne Langdon.

Surgeon Cove Head Light Station includes a wooden, one-storey double dwelling, a light tower, and a spar and boom apparatus located on Surgeon Cove Head on Exploits Islands. The lighthouse was constructed in 1911 to aid navigation along Newfoundland’s northeast coast and to the busy ports of Botwood and Lewisporte. Due to the steep cliffs, in 1920 the first hoisting engine was installed at the site to allow materials to be transported from the boats below. The 1960s dwelling is reminiscent of lightkeeper dwellings built at that time, many of which were constructed to replace older residences and to accommodate rotational staff. The station was staffed until 2002 and is now owned by Adventures Newfoundland.

Holloway Property in Lethbridge.

The Holloway Property in Lethbridge was built in 1915 and includes a two-and-a-half-storey Victorian Gothic-style house and two outbuildings, one traditionally used as a workshop and the other as a barn. Eli John Holloway (also known as John or Jack) likely built the house before his marriage to Minnie Earl of St. John’s in 1916. Minnie died in childbirth but their daughter survived. Eli John married Mabel Cuff of Bloomfield in 1919 and the couple would have six children together.John had a sawmill and lumber business at Parson’s Siding, along the Bonavista Line of the railroad, and was a member of the Newfoundland Overseas Forestry Unit. John was known as an exceptional carpenter, and his workshop remains on the property. The property remained in the Holloway family until 1975.

“These properties are a reflection of our varied industrial history in Newfoundland and Labrador,” says Dr. Lisa Daly, chair of Heritage NL. “From a home built for the owner of a sawmill and lumber business, to a lighthouse for the safe transportation of goods and people around the often dangerous coastline, and efforts to expand pulp and paper, they reflect the challenges and success of industry in the province.” 

Heritage NL was established in 1984 to preserve one of the most visible dimensions of Newfoundland and Labrador culture - its architectural heritage. Heritage NL designates buildings and other structures as Registered Heritage Structures and may provide grants for the purpose of preservation and restoration of such structures.

No comments: