Earlier this month Drake House in Arnold's Cove received a new historic plaque presented by past Heritage NL chair Dave Lough.
|Drake House in Arnold's Cove|
While Drake House has been located in Arnold’s Cove for over 50 years and serves an invaluable function as a community museum, it was originally built in the 1890s in the now resettled community of Haystack. Haystack was part of the government-sponsored resettlement program implemented in Newfoundland and Labrador between 1954 and 1975 that resulted in the resettlement of almost 260 communities and the relocation of over 27 thousand people. Drake House, through its history and its current role as a museum, preserves the heritage of our province and teaches us about this important part of our history. The house is also a good example of late 19th century outport architecture built using local, traditional materials.
|Frank Drake outside Drake House circa 1941|
|Drake House in Haystack|
The new plaque reads: This house was built in the Placentia Bay community of Haystack by brothers
|Drake House plaque|